Mar 30, 2012

How Cartoon Physics Nearly Killed Me Once

We are the 90's and 80's kids and luckily, we did not grow up on things like iPhones, Tablets, reality shows and stuff. Entertainment for us was something else - playing cricket in the ground even during the hot Indian summers, hanging out with friends till night, going to art / music / dance classes, watching TV shows etc. But since the computers during our childhoods were just good enough for MS Paint, most of our time went into watching TV shows and cartoons.

I remember the craze the one such TV show called 'Shaktimaan' had. Such was the influence of the show that children were known to have attempted the famous 'Shaktimaan spin' from the top of their roofs and meet their untimely demise. 'Pfft, are these kids are stupid or what?', used to be my reaction until I attempted to do enact something similar and came very close to meeting Sir Yamraaj. So, here goes my story...

I must have been in class 2nd or 3rd and mildly adventurous, unlike the kids of my age. But I used to watch a lot of cartoons on TV. A hell lot. But not too much of Shaktimaan. (Maybe my parents prevented me from watching it, after hearing what some kids were doing to themselves). Anyway, we all know how the cartoons are a little bit weak on the laws of physics. And children like me were too naive to understand this fact.

So one day, my parents had to go out for some work and they thought I had become old enough to be left alone at home. So they went out, leaving me with my little sister and locking the main door, so that we didn't stray out or let any stranger in. It should be noted that we used to live in a flat on the 6th floor of a building and the only way out was through the main door, which was locked.

Time passed quickly, we had a nap, watched TV, played, fooled around, but our parents were still hadn't returned. We started to get a bit queasy. It had been hours since our parents were gone and they still had not called to check on us. Nor had they told us that they would be gone for so long. Afterall, this was probably the first time we had been left home alone for so long.

Now the fascinating thing about our brain is that it imagines all sorts of horrible things when it is supposed to maintain a sense of calmness. Mine was no different. Car accident, murder, abduction - my brain ran as wild as a 10-year old's brain can run. Panicky, I picked up our cordless landline phone with the intention of calling my parents. The only problem was that it a 2-line phone ..and I did not know how to switch lines to call a number. Well damn, I thought.   

It was then, that moment, my brain came up with an idea that would have put Newton's gravitational laws to shame.. and I would like to take a moment here to give full credit for my ingeniousness to cartoons like 'Tom & Jerry'. I thought - 'If Tom & Jerry can use an umbrella as a parachute to jump from high places, why can't I??'


So I run into the balcony and look down from the 6th floor. With my idea, I would be able to reach the ground floor easily and ask the guards or some elder to phone my parents. I asked my sister to get me an umbrella. If you still don't know where this is going, my plan was to jump from the freakin' 6th floor, using an UMBRELLA as a parachute and try to contact the guard of our building once I reach down.

Someone tell this dude he's gonna die!! (Credits for this beautiful click)

I looked down from the balcony and back to my sister. My sister looked unsure about this. So did I. Thankfully, patience took over me and I decided to wait for some more time for my parents to return.. And so, that was how Cartoon Logic came close to taking my life before my scheduled time! One of the freakiest memories of my childhood!

And no, it doesn't work in real life (duh!).

4 comments:

  1. Hehe, that's a really cute story. Glad you didn't use the umbrella, otherwise it might have been your sister writing, "How I watched as cartoon physics killed my brother" LOL :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah.. But thankfully, my sister doesn't blog :D

      Delete
  2. O_o...you are hell lot more than what I have imagined about you... :O

    ReplyDelete